At the time of retirement, eligible National and International staff may elect to continue the medical insurance coverage previously held as staff members under the Bank’s Insurable Benefits Program. This decision is optional upon retirement, but irrevocable. If the retiree opts to continue medical coverage, that coverage may also be extended to his/her spouse and any eligible dependents.
Medical insurance premiums for National and International retirees are reviewed annually. Retirees who reside in the United States should file claims with Aetna Healthcare, while those residing outside of the United States should file claims with Aetna International (unless medical services were provided in the United States).
AETNA Program Administrator
Aetna International is the administrator of the medical, dental, and vision program for all members residing in the U.S. and outside the U.S. Members residing outside the U.S. have access to Aetna network dentists and vision providers when in the U.S.
Express Scripts is the administrator for prescription drugs received in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. For prescriptions received outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico, Aetna International is the administrator. Members residing outside of the U.S. and Puerto Rico have access to prescription drugs through Express Scripts when in the U.S. or Puerto Rico.
If you have any questions, contact the IDB Group Health and Life Insurance Group at HRD/INS@iadb.org or at +1 (202) 623-3090.
Our main goal is to promote the health and well-being of our plan members.
The IDB Health Program provides coverage for medical, dental and vision for IDB Group Retirees and their eligible dependents. The plan is self-funded. The IDB and plan members’ contributions are placed in a fund for the sole purpose of paying members’ medical bills. The IDB Group pays a third-party, namely Aetna International, an administrative fee to process claims and access its network of credentialed providers.
For detailed information about your benefits, please visit the section for Medical Benefits Program Handbooks.
For further information, contact the Offices of the Staff Retirement Plan by e-mail at VPF/SRP@iadb.org, or by telephone to (202) 623 3560.
On November 19th, 2019 the IDB created a new policy OR-318 with the IDB Regulations for Medical Insurance Program Committee:
Other Health Services:
The Bank’s Health Services Center at Headquarters also provides limited services to IDB retirees and their spouses including:
- First aid and emergency care required at Headquarters
- Annual Health Fair services
- Influenza vaccinations
For further information, Contact Health Services Center at (202) 623-3135 / Fax: (202) 623-3124 firstname.lastname@example.org
Medical/Dental/Vision Claim Form: AETNA
Pharmacy Claim Form (In U.S.): Express Scripts
Pharmacy Claim Form (Outside U.S.): AETNA
P&A 2020 Medicare Reimbursement Form
General Information about the passing of a retiree or spouse of a retiree
The beneficiary needs to contact the Office of the Staff Retirement Plans by any of the following means:
SRP General Telephone Line: +1 (202) 623-3560
Staff Retirement Plan
Inter-American Development Bank
1300 New York Avenue N.W. Stop EO507
Washington, D.C. 20577
Once we have been informed of the death, the Retirement Plans Office will update its records and send information only to the beneficiary or the Attorney in Fact regarding the beneficiaries and any survivor or insurance benefits that may be applicable. Therefore, we strongly suggest that the Form Power of Attorney is kept up to date.
Please note that the last monthly pension payment to the deceased retiree will be made at the end of the month in which the retiree died, in the same stablished way. Therefore, we strongly recommend not to close that bank account until the following month.
If the retiree is survived by a qualified spouse, the spouse will be entitled to a lifetime pension. If the retiree is not survived by a qualified spouse, Section 4.5(f)(ii) of the Staff Retirement Plan establishes that a lump sum payment shall be made to the designated beneficiaries on record. Therefore, we strongly suggest that the form Designation of Beneficiaries is kept up to date.
If the retiree is survived by a qualified spouse, at the spouse’s death the Plan’s benefits are considered extinguished.
Additionally, retirees and spouses have a life insurance benefit that will be paid to the designated beneficiaries on record. The amount of this benefit is variable, depending on the option selected by the retiree at the time of retirement, but currently, it should not be less than $10,000 for the retiree or $5,000 for the spouse. If the retired participant took the High Option, the amount should not be less than 10% of the last salary or $15,000 whichever is greater. The spouse’s High Option is $7,500. Payment of this benefit is subject to retentions for possible excess of payment; therefore, verification and authorization from the Medical Insurance, Taxes, and Payroll offices will be needed.
The following documentation must be forwarded to Staff Retirement Plans office in order to process the payments of benefits described above:
- Death Certificate; original or certified copy.
- Request of Survivor’s Pension or Authorization for Payment of Benefits signed by each of the beneficiaries, as applicable. Forms will be sent to beneficiaries.
- Authorization for Payment of Life Insurance signed by each of the beneficiaries. Forms will be sent to beneficiaries.
- Copy of tax returns and Form 1R, if the retiree was receiving tax advances.
- Copy of a Government issued identification with photography such as National ID, Driver’s license, Passport, etc., from each of the beneficiaries.
- Copy of a voided check for checking account or a copy of a bank statement for savings account where the beneficiary name and account number is shown for verification.
- The IDB only makes electronic payments to a bank account under the beneficiaries’ names, so please indicate the type of bank account. If the bank is outside the U.S., the form for deposits outside the U.S. must be sent as well because the transaction would be processed via SWIFT.
For questions, please contact the Staff Retirement Plans Office.
Updates on April 2020.
Aetna International provides administrative services for IDB Staff and Retirees, in connection with the IDB self-funded Insurance Program. The Insurance Program includes Medical, Prescription Drug, Vision and Dental plans.
Aetna International phone dedicated for Medical and Dental: +1 (888) 633-1055
Dirección de Aetna Médico:
P.O. Box 981543
Aetna Dental address:
P.O. Box 14094
Fax: +1 (859) 425-3363
URGENT Direct Settlement Request
P&A Group Medicare Reimbursement
17 Court St, Suite 500
Teléfono: +1 (844) 852-2611
AETNA VISION (For Routine Care)
Aetna International Phone dedicated for Vision
Aetna Vision address:
P.O. Box 8504,
Claims out of network: email@example.com
60 State Street, Suite 600
Phone: +1 (617) 426-3666
Toll-Free: +1 (800) 223-5003
HRD Retirees Website: http://www.iadb.org/retirees
SRP (Staff Retirement Plan) email: VPF/SRP@iadb.org
EXPRESS SCRIPTS Pharmacy Home Delivery Services
Phone: +1 (855) 521-0824
Fax: +1 (608) 741-5475
- Insurance Benefits Office: Telephone: +1 (202) 623-3137; e-mail: HRD/INS@iadb.org
- Raquel Lopez (NW-463): Telephone: +1 (202) 623-1637; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maria Macarena Pardo Berbel (SE0546) Telephone: +1 (202) 623-2500; e-mail: email@example.com
- Carmen Sanabria (NW-465) – Medicare: Telephone: +1 (202 )623-3137; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How does Aetna work outside the USA – Oct. 2018 (Spanish Only)
- HRD Response to the Report of Campaign or Aetna outside the USA – December 2018 (Spanish Only)
- 2nd Report on Aetna Outside the USA – March 2019 (Spanish Only)
- HRD Response to the 2nd Report – May 2019 (Spanish Only)
- Requirements 2nd Report – June 2020 (Spanish Only)
- Questionnaire to Document Aetna Status – March 2021 (Spanish Only)
- Aetna Questionnaire Results outside the USA 2021 – April 2021 (Spanish Only)
- Letter and Report on AETNA outside the US FINAL – July 2021 (Spanish Only)
- Market-Driven Medicare Would Put US Healthcare on a Better Track – July 2021