AROAS, the Association of Retirees of the Organization of American States (OAS), exists to represent and protect its members’ interests and to foster those of retirees in general. Its creation in 1979 responded to an expressed need for a central mechanism and a collective voice to:
- Identify, influence and communicate policies and decisions of the OAS General Secretariat affecting members’ general welfare
- Facilitate members’ interaction
- Promote and defend members’ interests
- Provide its members with organic and representational links to the OAS, the OAS Staff Association, specialized agencies of the Inter-American System, the OAS Staff Federal Credit Union and retiree associations of other international organizations
- Communicate and cooperate with other relevant institutions, principally those of international organizations’ retiree associations.